Sunday, June 27, 2010

I Shouldn't be suffering with age - Osteoporosis

At the age of 25, I sustained 4 compression fractures in my spine when I slipped and fell on a ceramic floor. When I hit the floor, I felt unbearable pain course down my back. I couldn't move my body and for a moment, I thought I was paralyzed. I couldn't stop crying. I knew something terrible had happened.

The next thing I knew, I was in the emergency department. No one could understand why I was in so much pain and why I couldn't get up. An X-ray showed that I had crushed my vertebrae. The emergency physician was shocked to see what appeared on the x-ray. He said the damage to my back looked as though someone had hammered it with a baseball bat.

Prior to my fractures, I had seen a few physicians complaining of back pain, but was told that i was guilty of nothing more than improper body mechanics! The apparent risk factors I had for osteoporosis were ignored, probably due to my young age.

I experienced excruciating pain and was not able to walk, shower, eat or dress myself without assistance. I truly felt physically handicapped. I discovered that I had lost one inch in height performing daily tasks such as cooking, doing laundry and cleaning. I felt as though as I was 80 years old - fragile and weak.

A bone density examination revealed severe osteopenia in both my spine and femur regions, requiring immediate measures to be taken. To this day, I still have back pain and my body neither feels nor looks the same as it once did. I still have trouble cleaning the house, vacuuming, making the bed or being in one position for a prolonged period of time. I am now committed to preventing anyone from enduring the same experience that I did.

For more info, please contact Pui San @+65 9817 8497 or ophira.yc@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment