Thursday, January 28, 2010

I Shouldnt Be Suffering with Age... Rheumatoid Arthritis


¨Something I find frustrating is that people can look at you and not realize there´s something wrong. People assume arthritis happens only to older people¨
Jonathan Gledhill, age 27

I have sero-negative rheumatoid arthritis, which doesnt show up in blood tests for arthritis. I have it in several joints but mainly in both knees, my right wrist, hands, feet, elbow and it may be affecting my spine a little now. I have pain and swelling in the joints and muscle stiffness, especially in the morning.

It started in my right knee when I damaged the cartilage in a car accident in 2001. The knee was sore, swollen and stiff and never recovered. During the next four years I developed pain in my wrists, thumb, feet and ankles but blood tests for arthritis were negative. My GP prescribed anti-inflammatory painkillers for me.

Treatment
¨I started taking an anti-rheumatic drug to slow the progression of the disease.

For about 18 months, I didnt have to take so many painkillers but it´s getting less effective. I go to the rheumatology clinic every six months to check my progress and I have monthly blood tests to make sure the drug isnt affecting my liver.

I can walk unaided, though I´ve developed a limp. After 15 or 20 minutes of walking I get quite sore. I had an embarrassing incident in the cinema recently. I nearly fell over when I tried to stand up. My knee had locked and I couldn´t straighten it. My friends had to help me out and take me to Emergency Department of the hospital.

For more info, please contact Pui San @+65 9817 8497 or ophira.yc@gmail.com 

1 comment:

  1. There are several varieties of medicines that soothe the pain, such as Lorcet, Lortab, vicodin, hydrocodone, etc. And we must keep in mind is the importance of these medicines on the market for many people suffering from pain, it is very important to know that these medicines, and are good for alleviating pain, as findrxonline the consequences of them are very strong, you must know that these drugs are very powerful anxiolytics and their consequences for misuse can be fatal, so we recommend all users should be extremely cautious with the consequences that these drugs can cause.

    ReplyDelete