Thursday, January 28, 2010

I Shouldnt Be Suffering with Age... Parkinson´s Disease

¨I was tired, often disoriented and confused, my hands tremble when I write and I often lost my balance. I feel frustrated that I cant do everything I used to. My friends had commented that I stooped while I walked... I also had to give up driving!¨

It was 2 years ago, when I was 68 years old, that a Neurologist told me that I had Parkinson´s. ¨You´ve probably had it for five years already,¨ he stated. The Neurologist had reached this conclusion after asking me to walk up and down the corridor, carrying out rigidity tests and observing my movements.

Parkinson´s disease occurs when a group of cells in an area of the brain which begin to malfunction and die, leaving a person incapable of initiating and controlling movements in a normal way.

I had noticed changes before then but couldnt explain them. I was tired, was having violent nightmares, was often disoriented and confused and occasionally lost my balance. My handwriting was getting worse and I sometimes struggled doing my buttons or zips up. A couple of friends had commented that I stooped while I walked and that it took me a while to get dressed. I´d put all of these things down to simply getting old.

Looking back at the few years before me diagnosis, there were other symptoms too. For example, I felt depressed and had difficulties with my bowels.

One thing I was worried about when I was diagnosed was how I will cope living on my own.

For more info, please contact Pui San @+65 9817 8497 or ophira.yc@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment